Social Media Analysis: The blogs of two would be "top dogs"
In honor of Blog World Expo...which I am NOT attending (follow the Tweet Stream here) I thought it would be fun to add another in my series on Social Media and the Presidential Campaign and how they are using their "official" blogs to communicate with you and I -- the people of this great nation.
First and foremost let's get really clear on what a BLOG is.
According to Knol (Googles response to the academic backlash against Wikipedia) poster Duncan Riley,
A Blog is a website that consists of text, images, media objects and data, arranged chronologically and underpinned with a content delivery system which provides the ability to deliver content frequently and with little skill. Blogs have a strong focus on building meaningful social connections or virtual communities on any and all subject matters.
This works pretty well for my purpose today, which is to examine the blogs of Barack Obama and John McCain. That last sentence, in particular about "building meaningful social connections" is pretty key.
How are the campaigns using their blogs? How are they using technology to "build meaningful social connections"? Well in past posts I've highlighted how both campaigns are tossing out the MySpace and Facebook links and creating social spaces within their own sites. I've show how the campaigns are fumbling (like the text message VP announcement of Obama) and how they've nailed it such as McCain's site redesign or Obama's fun ring tones. It leaves the sense that the campaigns are innovative and are using technology to leverage their messages in new and engaging ways.
Or not.
First of all staffers are doing the blogging. Ok. I get it. Barack and John are busy guys. They have TV appearances and the same speech to deliver in every "battleground" city all over the country (well, not here in Vermont). They have snarky ads to approve (snarky, my new word of the day...had to work it in here), and fingers to point (ok, now that's me being snarky). There's no time to draft a blog post that personally reaches out to your constituents and the voting public. Those ads are just plain good enough. Um. Yeah.
I've been subscribed to the Obama Twitter for some time and I get a tweet every time there's a speech in some town (usually in Michigan) directing me to their site to watch the live speech. Ohhh Ahhh.
So why am I being so cranky about this? It's because it drives me crazy that they aren't using their blogs in a way that bypasses all the traditional political idiocy. Want some examples? Of course you do!
Obama
- Voices for Change: Teresa in Michigan. A political sob-story about a troubled American. Nice touch at the end of the post -- a big red DONATE button.
- Barack Obama on the Terrorist Attack in Pakistan. Copy of their official statement. Same thing I'll hear on the news channels and at those speeches.
- Democratic Radio Address: Senator Obama on the Current Financial Crisis with a link to the radio address (wonder why this one didn't come through on my Twitter!).
McCain
- Weekly Radio Address with link to the audio file.
- Report on a McCain-Palin Event in Minnesota. Yeah. Picture of a big crowd. Update urges me to go to the action center to "take action".
- Report from a McCain-Palin Event in Iowa. No pictures of this one.
Not one of these things brings me closer to understanding either candidate. I'm being refed and recycled the same stuff I can get anywhere else.
So what SHOULD they do?
Leverage the technology of course. Write something PERSONAL and PERSONABLE and not handled. For example wouldn't it be nice to go to the blog and see that Barack has written something like this:
Between speech stops and trying to figure out how to best address the folks in *insert struggling town here* as we watch the financial crisis unfold. This isn't about fluff like "from wallstreet to mainstreet". This is a financial crisis unlike any we've seen and it will be my job to take the reigns and make a difference. How will I do that? We need to protect the taxpayer and the homeowner. We need to make sure retirement plans are strong. I plan to examine.....insert actual stuff here... Well...times up. The bus has just pulled in to *insert town here*.
So that just took me about 2 minutes.
Imagine going to the McCain blog and reading something like this:
And you folks don't think I know how to use a computer! I'm very troubled by the economic issues we are facing. Just a few days ago, I said the fundamentals of our economy were strong. And then overnight we face perhaps the biggest financial crisis of our country. Like you I am saddened and more than a little frustrated. I believe in free markets and do not like to have too much regulation, and yet, there are times when we have to step in and now is clearly one of those times. In my speech in *insert town here* in the next hour, I'll be outlining what I think should be done. Yes there will need to be regulation and yes there will need to oversight but at the same time it is vital we strike a balance.
But I don't think I will ever see any of this.
Why?
Because they are afraid. All of them -- you know the them I reference. The handlers and advisers and dare I say PR and Marketing folks (shame on you!) who want to control everything. Script it all. Avoid room for mistakes.
Blogs are there to build connection and what these campaigns are doing is just using a space on their website to allow a group of people to write stuff that is all about give me money and here's my new attack ad and here's this sob story so you should vote for us...
Sigh.
No innovation here.
Of course, perhaps there's nothing wrong with this at all and I'm just a naive, out of touch academic who has no real understanding of the political process.



2 comments:
I see at least two reasons for their not attempting any personal blogging (aside, in McCain's case, from obvious generational disinclinations):
- When the races are so tight (check out The New York Times' electoral map tool, which you can actually play with by clicking "Your map"), each side is loath to offer the other any outrage fodder, which a presumably less-than-perfectly-controlled blog post might yield. Which leads to the next point...
- TV still matters too much to candidates in 2008. Why? Because it still matters too much to the average American. This is reflected in the relative levels of advertising spending of TV vs. Internet: Both candidates are relying on television advertising.
You could even argue that it's not just a question of which medium is most effective, but that it's actually a Marshall McLuhan-type issue in which the chosen medium meta-communicates the way the candidates would prefer to communicate with the electorate: A top-down, mass dissemination mode which the message consumer is supposed to ingest in the most passive way possible. A pop-psychological analysis might say this reveals a fundamental authoritarian trait in both candidates, but, leaving that aside, you have to admit that the candidates have to go where the eyeballs are.
So I'd say that, until there's a contest which isn't so tight, with razor-thin margins, and until enough Americans trade traditional passive television consumption for more active online communication, the candidates will continue to think about their campaign messaging in terms of video and broadcasting, and they won't even think about attempting the type of (pseudo-)real blogging that you'd like to see.
I agree with Elaine. Obama really seemed like he was trying to get rid of "traditional" methods of fundraising, and connecting with people through his website, and really could take advantage of his historically younger voters that are involved in his campaign. If his tweets, etc were more personable, I think younger voters would feel more involved and connected to him, and therefore go and vote for him.
Post a Comment